As much as I would love to say I made this from scratch, I can’t. Yes, this beautiful cake was made from cake mix out of the box folks. However, there are tons of ingredients added, so I suppose you could say I made it from “semi-scratch”.
(2) boxes of Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix and ingredients listed on the back of the box
2 cans of Pineapple slices in 100% pineapple juice
2 cups of packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter/margarine
*1 tbs of vanilla flavoring
*1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350F
- In large skillet (do NOT use a skillet with a plastic handle), melt the butter, pour in brown sugar, and spread evenly. Put heat on low.
- Arrange pineapple slices the way you like (make this part fun by creating cool designs) on top
- Place cherries in pineapples or around them
- In separate bowl, follow cake instructions BUT instead of using water, use the excess pineapple juice from the cans.
- Pour the batter into the skillet, over the brown sugar and pineapples
- Bake skillet in oven for 45-50 min (stick knife/toothpick into cake, when it comes out without batter on it, it’s ready)
- Place large serving plate (I typically use a pizza pan) over skillet. Turn plate over WITH pan, you’re essentially flipping the cake to turn it upside down..hence the name upside down cake 🙂 Don’t flip out if some of the pineapples get stuck to the bottom of the pan. Just scoop them out and place them back on top of the cake.
- Slice and serve warm with ice cream